Wednesday, December 10, 2008

You're Nuts!

" We do not do these things not because they are easy, we do these things becasue they are hard..."

-JFK



Well last year as I sat here prepping for Ironman New Zealand I kept getting a constant reminder of my mental health.



" You're training for an Ironman, do you know what that'll do to your knees? You're nuts!"



" You're training for an Ironman in the dead of winter...you're nuts!"



" You're going to New Zealand in the worst economic situation since the Great Depression? You're nuts!"



" You think you'll qualify for Kona? Damn you're nuts boy-o!"



" You want to go back? You're not nuts you're f**king insane dude!"



Last year I did not let these thoughts deter me. The last year has been rough with life just wailing on me, part of it was my over ambition, some of it was unforeseen circumstances, most of it was how I reacted to shit. Funny it seems that when I race 95% of the time, if something happens I just roll with it, but life throws me a curve ball, and I let it bug me. I stress, I worry, I fret and go into panic mode and then a few hours/days/ weeks down the line take a deep breath and deal with it, kicking myself for being such a dumbass. Mayb I need to view life like I view my races, somedays you're the first one out of the drink, others you hit the wrong part of the beach, some days you are crusing at 30 mph effortlessly with a tail wind, and others you are stuck on a 20% grade crawling at 2 mph, You pull a marathon PR or are crawling over the line in a 5k. Last Year I didn't let life get me down, this year I did. I think my goal is to make next year alot more like last year and a hell of a lot less like this year. to keep a positive attitude to do what I need to do and most of what I want to do. To not worry about what other people think, afterall at the end of the day I'm the one who has to live with myself.



So I have made the decision Ironman New Zealand is where I'm heading, once again training through the cold( well I've still been swimming a running semi religiously but I need to get on the bike again.), once again with people screaming its suicide in my ear. I figure I like the race despite the logistical nightmare getting to it, it's worth it. The Kiwis are chill, the atmosphere is laid back, and except for some bad drivers it's a pretty fun race. As some of my teamamtes and family members put it "New Zealand is on everyone's top ten list and you might as well do it while you're young, single, and free.*" Most people tell me it's irrational, it defies logic, but then again doesn't voluntarily paying money and signing up to race 140.6 miles (226.2 km) seem a tiny bit irrational, figure if I'm going to do it I might as well go for the illogical trifecta.



Whether or not I'll race a lot of my local events remains to be seen, although I have 2 on the shortlist, one because I've done it every year it's been in existence and the other because it is my hometown sprint, but even then the local I want to race is only $50. I made a few mistakes last year in entering a lot of big name races, this year New Zealand is the biggie, unless I qualify for Kona. ( Dear Bree Wee, young broke age group seeking homestay, knows how to cook, clean, do windows.), regardless I'm going back.

Now all that leaves is training, having done this whole shabang last year, I know the best winter training spots around. My masters team is in full swing, and I can eek out an hour or two to run pretty easily. So I'm going back to Taupo and hopefully, I get that magic ticket punched to the Big Island.

Life is short, Race hard.
R.D.

No comments: