Saturday, January 3, 2009

140.6 is the Easy Part: Part II The costs and the benefits.


Well for anyone who hasn't been following this blog or the my other one I'm in debt, like 90% of the US population. My family's in kind of a tough spot which has led to some tensions between my parents and myself and the fact that I have fallen behind on some stuff..granted I'll be able to catch up with the income tax check. But irregardless this summer was pretty bad, and I've resolved to get myself into a better position. As I was going through fiscal hell and now as I sit here looking at my bills, projected income, and race expenses, I felt it necessary to rehash why I want to spend the money to go half way around the world and race against some of the World's best athletes.


The Place: New Zealand is probably one of my favorite places on earth. It reminds me of Connecticut with better weather with people who are a hell of alot less up tight...hell even the road work signs say thank you. The long stretch of Broadlands road on the Taupo Course reminds me alot of my training route through Woodbury and Washington ( Granted a little less hilly.) The way the entire town got behind the event save for a few reckless drivers, was amazing. And unlike alot of the American Races where everything is about having the decked out Cervelo and the Zipp wheel set and the be all and end all coaching plan...the Aussies and Kiwis I bumped into were serious competitors but it was more as Charisa put it "about the journey that the destination."


Last year as part of the race's adopt an Ironman Program the Taupo Times picked me out of the draw so I had a conceige in Jude ( far right) personal check in volunteer ..well ok I just happended to check in at the right timeand she helped me in Gerri ( center.) And a press entourage.
The People: I've already hit on the Aussies and Kiwi's "no worries" attitude and sadly I wish it was something I had more of. I also met some people from across
the US at this shin dig that had similar attitudes it was just an experience that put me in contact with so many different cultures and lifestyles it reminded me of one of the reasons I love the sport so much.


Catherine is the Brunette on the far left, the guy on the End is Simon the local sports reporter sadly he moved to Australia if you're out there dude shoot me an email.

There is one person imparticular I'm hoping to see...my friend Catherine, she is just an amazing person, funny,pretty smart, sporty, amazing smile, stunning photographer ...she asked me once about nutrition before a race to which my reply was "well I have some gu taped to the bike some shot blocks in my pocket and if all else fails a bottle of coke and Snickers waiting for me in my special needs bag." I'm not a health food nut, hell I was one of those kids who ate Jello out of the box in age group swim meets. So I always would get a kick when she'd say " I don't know how to cook for an athlete." But on her photography last year she was working for the town paper so she and Simon the Sports reporter were my press entourage for the week. Sadly the paper made some personnel changes Cat's still in NZ and is working out of New Plymouth and Simon is somewhere in Australia, she's confirmed she'll be at the race so I'm really looking forward to seeing her and catching up. The race photos in this post were snapped by her and Simon at last year's Ironman New Zealand the two on the run were snapped 10k from the finish as Catherine leaned backward out of the passenger side window to get the shot. Not an easy task to do but it made for some great shots.

This photo is my personal favorite...mainly because it's not always easy to smile 20 miles into a marathon.

I could go into strategic planning and all that crap of "hey if I qualify for Kona...I'd have X months to train,and save up..." but in reality there was not any logical sense for me to enter Ironman New Zealand. Logic and rationality would have told me to do something closer like Louisville or Placid, or Arizona, something easier like Florida. Something late in the year, cheap to get to, and hopefully loaded with the 30 and older crowd. Sometime emotions just trumps the mind. Will I be able to afford to go back every year? I don't know, realistically I'm doing it this year on a wing and a prayer. I didn't use Ken Glah's service to cut costs ( although if you can afford to do a race with his group highly recommend it,in fact his mechanics for Ironman New Zealand were riots.) As I felt in the summer of 2007 money is only money, I can always make more.

At the end of the day when they're laying me into a 6ft.box am I'm going to be sitting there thinking I should have hoarded more, I should have worked more, I should have fired my damn stock broker in the recession, or that I should have lived more, I should have traveled more, I should have laughed more, I should have loved more...don't get me wrong I need to pay bills and establish myself and I will but am I living to work or am I working to live. What's the sense of life if you can't do at least some of what you want to do.

I think I answered that question.

R.D.

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

Whoa nice post... a lot of personal thoughts and totally relatable!

I hope you continue to FULLY live out your life and don't "save up" because you are so right, we can't take it with us!!

HOPE you are running soon you, get that achilles fired up, you got 140.6 miles coming!! :)

Charisa said...

You've only got one life, definitely live it to its fullest!! And I want to try NZ now - it sounds like great people live there! And I love that you are smiling at mile 20, that shows even more you made the right decision to go back to NZ!!